When I started making this slice I initially just wanted to make a chocolate crackle slice. And then I thought – this needs caramel! So I did.
But then I thought – this needs salt! But how? Let’s add another chocolate layer and salt that! So I did.
And then I thought -.as this is a present for my Step-Dad it also needs to be locked up when I give it to him. Because as grateful as he is, he complains that he can’t eat my baking in any portion controlled manner. (First world problem, ammiright?)
The result is really a very special thing you should make, and then put in your face immediately.
Note: If you prefer more/less volume of caramel and chocolate in your layers, then 1.5x or 2x the caramel amount, and you could also experiment by halving the chocolate amount. As it currently is this is a thinish layer of caramel compared to a standard chocolate caramel slice, and a thick layer of chocolate. Coz that’s how I liked it.
1/3 cup (80g) butter, melted
1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg, beaten lightly (or 1 and a half eggs, if you can be bothered with that)
2/3 cup (24g) Rice Bubbles/Krispies
1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
2 tbs (Australian, i.e. 40ml or 2 American tb + 2 tsp, 17g) cocoa powder
1/4 cup golden syrup
60 grams butter, melted
1 x 400g cans sweetened condensed milk
Ingredients: Chocolate Topping
340 grams dark chocolate
6 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (350F). Grab a 20x30cm (ish) baking tin and line it with baking paper. I also sprayed the baking paper with olive oil spray for good measure.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and egg. Stir in the Rice Bubbles, coconut, and the sifted flour and cocoa powder. Spread into prepared tin, and bake for 20-22 minutes until firm. Cool in pan.
Method: Caramel Filling
- Place the golden syrup, butter and condensed milk in a saucepan over low heat and stir for 7 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
- Pour over the cooked base.
- Bake for 20 minutes (check after 15), or until the caramel is golden. The caramel can bubble up a little with the cooking, but it will settle upon cooling and will be covered with chocolate.
- Refrigerate until the slice is cold – about two to three hours.
- Place the chocolate and oil in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Spread over the slice.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Cut with a heated knife.
Source: Base from Wayfaring Chocolate, the other is from my chocolate caramel slice.
Storage: In an airtight container. Or locked up. Whatever is needed.