Almond and pomegranate black quinoa salad

Almond and pomegranate black quinoa salad

Here is something a bit different for Clever Muffin – it’s savoury and has two things never before featured: quinoa and pomegranate. Pomegranate is fun, quinoa is…

I have ‘issues’ with quinoa. When I first started this blog I had this conversation about 18 times with various people:

Well-meaning individual (WMI): Oh, you have a food blog, have you tried keeeenwaah yet?
Me: You mean quinoa?
WMI: Oh, it’s actually pronouced keeeenwwaaaah.
Me: You mean quinoa?
WMI: No, keeeenwaaaah…. It’s very healthy and *insert text here about how healthy and fab it is*.

Blah.

I refuse to do research on how to pronounce keeeennwaaah. You can show me links till your fingers are raw from typing. I don’t care. It’s a South American food, I believe, and Spanish is a phonetically written language. So, I will say it as written. I think it’s like people who go to Italian restaurants and suddenly start ordering food in a thick Italian accent. I’m so puzzled when my non-Italian friends who have never spoken Italian start saying: ‘si, I would like the marga-ritah piszzah’, I mean, WTF?

But now I have to hang my head in shame, as the other day this happened while eating out with a celiac friend:

Friend (looking at menu): What’s quinoa, is it gluten free?
Me: It’s keeeeeenwwaaaa, and yes it’s gluten free. *pause* Oh my god I’m so sorry, I hate people who insist on pronouncing it that way.

For those who have missed the gravy train quinoa is gluten free, it’s a grain, it’s healthy. You cook it one part quinoa, three parts water/stock. It’s also very trendy right now and is pronounced keeeeenwaaaahhhh.

Wow. Aren’t I a little catty today? This is why I should stick to baked goods. No one fights over how to pronounce chocolate. They just eat it.

Almond and pomegranate black quinoa salad in a bowl
600 mls vegetable stock
200 grams quinoa (I used black, it comes in various colours, use the one you wish)
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
75 grams toasted flaked almonds
Seeds of 1 pomegranate
50 mls olive oil

1. Place the stock and quinoa into a saucepan and cook over medium high, with lid partly on, for 12 minutes or until stock is absorbed
  2. In a large bowl place quinoa, lemon zest, flaked almonds and pomegranate seeds.
  3. Drizzle over olive then fluff up the quinoa with a fork. Season to taste, serve with your favourite meat dish.

Serves: 4-6 as a side dish.

Healthy? 280 calories if divided into six serves.

Gluten free? Yes.

Storage: Cover with cling film, will keep for a day or two in the fridge.

18 Comments on Almond and pomegranate black quinoa salad

1. cookbooksandpattycakes
    6 May 2012 at 2:35 pm (2 years ago)

I have quinoa issues too…I remember seeing an interesting recipe using quinoa flakes about 6 months ago, so I dished out my $27 for the packet and of course I promptly forgot where I saw the recipe.
    Now, more importantly, you didn’t actually mention how this tastes…looks interesting, but worthwhile making?

6 May 2012 at 3:09 pm (2 years ago)

Haha – I got so carried away having a whine I never critiqued the recipe! The bursts of sweet pomegranate and lemon rind make a really effective taste contrast. Similarly the textures of the quinoa and almond and fun too – I don’t post a lot of savoury dishes so when I do it’s usually because I’m quite impressed with it.

I had this as a side with lamb meatballs.

6 May 2012 at 6:18 pm (2 years ago)

Haha, nice musings… I sorta agree with you actually – it is sort of a silly pronunciation. Anyway, lovely looking salad, Aimee!

6 May 2012 at 11:36 pm (2 years ago)

Yea, it is a silly. But so am I so it all evens out in the end :p

3. Amy
    7 May 2012 at 8:20 am (2 years ago)

Haha. You say quinoa, I say keenwah ;) But either way I’m glad you finally tried it! It’s one of my favorite grains to make because you don’t have to add much to make it a complete meal. This looks yummy!

7 May 2012 at 1:16 pm (2 years ago)

Potato / poh-tato :) It is a wonderful grain, despite my ranting :)

7 May 2012 at 9:17 am (2 years ago)

Ha! You had me absolutely giggling here Aimee! I like to pronounce it phonetically too. That and quince always throws me for a loop too. And I had to especially laugh at your comments about pronouncing things like an Italian. It drives Mike absolutely nuts. So I like to do it. LOL. All in good fun of course. Ricotta is my favorite one to get him with. Now…on to the food. I love pomegranate and keep meaning to try keenwaaaaah. They sound like a fantastic combo. :)

7 May 2012 at 1:18 pm (2 years ago)

Glad I’m not the only one! How do you say quince if not phonetically? Now I’m genuinely worried …

Glad you’re keeping Mike on his toes, I must admit if I knew it was someone bug bear I’d be doing that too!

7 May 2012 at 11:46 pm (2 years ago)

I am lmao at your post today. I hate how pretentious some people are when it comes to their foods. I don’t care how you say it as long as I can figure out what you are talking about!

8 May 2012 at 9:57 am (2 years ago)

lol, Aimee. I just got on the keeenwhah bandwagon about 6 months ago. And I agree – I think it’s become a pretentious pasta/bread/rice thing-y (my technical term). But this does look delish!

8 May 2012 at 10:41 am (2 years ago)

There is something about a food becoming trendy that makes it a turn off, right? Then it’s extra annoying when you find out it’s actually yum! :)

10 May 2012 at 11:56 pm (2 years ago)

I like you when you’re catty. The food, I can get a delicious keenwaahh dish on any ol’ blog, but the lmao fun…that is totally Aimee. :) So glad I am back so I can smile through your posts again. I actually do love this keeeenwaaaah dish. Have not tried it yet with pomegranate seeds nor almonds. Double yay. And you know what, I just discovered i could eat it for breakfast yesterday, steeped in milk (coconut or almond is yum) instead of broth and a touch of either honey or agave (+cinnamon + vanilla) and it’s a nice change for breakfast. Got it off Offally Tasty blog (on my blogroll). No I don’t get paid by her. Trust me, I tell people on other blogs about you too. Sorry for the ramble…once you let me out of my cage, I am hard to control

11 May 2012 at 7:52 am (2 years ago)

I’m glad someone appreciates my cattiness! Glad your back Geni :) I hadn’t considered keeenwaaah for breakfast with milk and honey, but I can totally see how that would work. Porridge-esque. I’ll check out Offally’s blog :)

11 May 2012 at 4:47 am (2 years ago)

Ooooo this looks yummy! I’m loving the addition of pomegranate…never tried it with quinoa. But I’m sure it’s delicious, especially since you made it. :)

11 May 2012 at 7:53 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Caroline! Pomegranate does make a somewhat plain grain far more exciting.

15 May 2012 at 7:31 am (2 years ago)

I really need to broaden my food horizons….