Happy Australia Day – let’s freeze some stuff!

Fail

Warning: this is not a blog post about a good recipe. It does not have a happy ending. But it does have tequila. Thank god.

Now, where was I? Ah yes, here’s the start of a blog post I was writing…

It’s Australia Day tomorrow ! Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!

With a side of arriiiba because I’m making margarita icy poles to celebrate!

Sure, it’s not as typically Australian as lamingtons, in fact it’s decidedly Mexican. But it’s a great idea.

Don’t argue or I won’t give you one.

On Australia day, we party. Australian style.

We have eskis with wheels, filled with beer and other goodies, and take them to foreshores, BBQ’s and picnics.

Eski with wheels

This year I’m off to a BBQ and am making icy poles for my fellow Aussies. We can eat them and contemplate how awesome this country is.

So….

Squeeze your lemons and make your sugar syrup by dissolving caster sugar in boiling water.

Squeeze the lemons

Add your tequila and Cointreau. I’ve made it with a lot more lemon and sugar syrup than my usual margarita recipe. But my usual recipe will knock your socks off, and also potentially not freeze. I didn’t want to compromise taste for alochol content (quite unAustralian to be honest. Might be sign of my age).

Put ‘em in your icy pole makers.

Pouring into moulds

Freeze ‘em. Best to make a day ahead.

freeze them

Run some hot water around them to get them out of the moulds easily.

And then realised that you FAILED MASSIVELY! Even after 24 hours that stuff aint freezing.

Not an icy pole

Right. Ok. You can rescue this. Sure, you told everyone at the BBQ you were bringing icy poles, but I’m sure no one was listening.

Change of plans.

We’re making slushies.

More tequila. If it ‘aint freezing no point holding off on the alcohol content. Tip the rest of the tequila in.

All of it.

Ta da!

Frozen margarita

Frozen margaritas! Made the really long way.

Frozen margarita

I’m foregoing my usual headings of ingredients, method, healthy and storage.

This was a disaster.

But I can tell you they are gluten free.

Happy Australia Day!

16 Comments on Happy Australia Day – let’s freeze some stuff!

25 January 2012 at 11:46 pm (2 years ago)

Australia Day? Does that mean everyone has to refuse to tip every service person they encounter? Sorry, I have a personla issue with Aussies!
    Great post – and I liked the ending!

25 January 2012 at 11:49 pm (2 years ago)

Haha! I’m not surprised Hook considering your chosen profession is in hospitality – tipping just isn’t in our culture and I’m sure I’ve offended many a service person overseas when I’ve forgotten! But I think reading your blog regularly will make me remember next time I’m holidaying. :)

26 January 2012 at 12:59 am (2 years ago)

what an absolutely brilliant idea, had to laugh when i read that your usual won’t freeze because of the alcohol content!!! c

26 January 2012 at 1:33 am (2 years ago)

Happy Australia day! And while the ice pops may not have worked out – I would have been more than happy with a slushy margarita! Delish! It reminds me of summer. :)

26 January 2012 at 1:35 am (2 years ago)

You are hysterical! Thanks for making me smile…as always. I think you should try stand up comedy. Sorry the icy poles didn’t work. I love that name. Popsicles sound so boring. And way to make a bad situation very good. More tequila is always the right move. :)

5. Anonymous
    26 January 2012 at 1:41 am (2 years ago)

Did I read tequilla!! Whatever day you want to call it, I’d take a chilly glass of that!! Looks amazing!!

26 January 2012 at 3:31 am (2 years ago)

Hilarious! I always love your sense of humor.. a perfect save turning them into margaritas! Icy Poles, we call them popsicles, I think yours sound way more fun, especially with the tequila added:) xoxo Happy Australia Day!

26 January 2012 at 11:55 am (2 years ago)

Oh of course, popsicles – thanks for that I can now add it in as one of the tags. Always trying to be mindful of my Australian-American food translations.

7. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide
    26 January 2012 at 3:37 am (2 years ago)

Hey those margaritas look great. Sorry the pop failed. I thought sure you’d take the opportunity to make a barbie or shrimp joke.

26 January 2012 at 11:54 am (2 years ago)

dang nab it! Next time… I hate to miss a good pun or bad joke opportunity :)

26 January 2012 at 3:44 am (2 years ago)

LOL, Aimee! I love your first disclaimer. And honestly, if tequila is involved all is good. :) I’d come to your party any day of the week. Happy Australia Day!

9. sportsglutton
    26 January 2012 at 12:36 pm (2 years ago)

Excellent recovery and happy Australia Day!

28 January 2012 at 7:37 am (2 years ago)

O my, what a mush! Happy Australia day! I’ve been enjoying the tennis from Melbourne – though Federer lost, so I was a little sad. Tequila is always good.

28 January 2012 at 7:50 am (2 years ago)

Brilliant save! I’m sure the slushies were just as delicious. I mean, how couldn’t they be? Tequila was involved. ;) Hope you had a great Australia Day!

12. testerfoodblog
    1 February 2012 at 5:30 pm (2 years ago)

Icy poles? And I suppose you call canteloupes “rock melons” ;-)
    Nice post. Happy Australia Day!

1 March 2012 at 12:45 am (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh, this totally cracked me up. As soon as I realized you were putting alcohol in the popsicles, I wondered how on earth you were planning to get them to freeze. Oops.

Yeah, we keep our liquor in the freezer, because it stays icy cold and it doesn’t freeze. That explains the “failed” post heading now. I’m guessing the slushies were a total hit.