Double chocolate muffins – and five reasons you need them

Double chocolate muffins

Here they are: double chocolate, chocolate chip, easy to make, eat ‘em quick double chocolate muffins.

I’m so glad you’re here. I’m going to go right ahead and assume you’re either here because you follow my blog, or you have googled “double chocolate muffin recipe”. If you fall in the latter category then snaps for you! That’s a great idea! Make double chocolate muffins. You deserve them.

Still not convinced, here’s five very valid reasons:

1. Eating double chocolate muffins is as good as going to the gym (proof: the antioxidants in cocoa trigger the walls of your blood vessels to relax, lowering blood pressure and improving circulation. This means better delivery of oxygen and nutrients to every cell).
  2. If you have red wine and tea while making/eating double chocolate muffins you may just turn into Einstein. True story. (proof: dark chocolate contains the same type of antioxidants found in red wine and tea, which have been shown to boost brain activity).
  3. They will make you more attractive (proof: chocolate has been shown to improve skin tone and texture, and can help protect it from ultraviolet rays).
  4. You will be happier, and people like being around happy people (proof: chocolate contains a unique natural substance that creates a sense of euphoria).
  5. Double chocolate muffins makes you chill you out like Yoda (proof: chocolate has been shown to correct imbalances in the body related to stress and can significantly reduce levels of stress hormones).

In conclusion, people who make and eat double chocolate muffins are scientifically proven to be better looking, more popular, wittier and more charming*.

Hey, you can’t argue with science.

Or chocolate. Don’t argue with chocolate either.

¼ cup cocoa
¼ cup boiling water
3 cups self-raising flour
¾ cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips (I use light and dark)
1 egg, beaten
1 ½ cups evaporated milk
125 grams butter, melted and cooled slightly
Icing sugar or cocoa for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with patty cases and spray with cooking oil.Mix cocoa and boiling water together to make a smooth paste. Allow to cool.
  2. Put flour and sugar into a large bowl and add chocolate chips.
  3. In a separate bowl mix together cocoa mixture, egg, evaporated milk and butter.
  4. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients and add milk mixture. Stir until just combined.
  5. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and they bounce back to touch.
  6. Serve dusted with icing sugar or cocoa. Makes 12.

Healthy? 393 calories a muffin. + other additional health benefits already mentioned. Kind of.

Gluten free? Ah, well, no. But if you’re after chocolate-y gluten free goodness then why not check out this recipe for Flourless (gluten free) chocolate cake from Frugal Feeding. OMG. That’s all I have to say.

Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days.

*asterisk is not spelt asterix. Sorry, did you follow the asterisk for another reason? I’ve forgotten what I was saying…

Source: modified from the Muffin Bible double chocolate muffins.

23 Comments on Double chocolate muffins – and five reasons you need them

1. Anonymous
    18 January 2012 at 11:51 pm (6 years ago)

I think I only need 1 reason – they look awesome!!! But I love all the reasons…makes for feeling alot less guilty eating chocolate!!

19 January 2012 at 12:32 am (6 years ago)

I LOVE THIS POST! 🙂 You are always too funny Aimee. These muffins…i saw them and thought that I would just whip up a batch right now. I was trying to figure out what I was in the mood for and these absolutely hit the mark. BUT i have no evaporated milk. See sad face :(. Very sad face. I will have to buy evaporated milk later and make them tonight. But i planning to be smarter and better looking this morning?! Sh@@!

19 January 2012 at 4:12 am (6 years ago)

Hear, hear on the wine comment…makes me much more creative as well. 😉 These look awesome! x

4. Stefanie
    19 January 2012 at 7:25 am (6 years ago)

These look awesome! And your 5 reasons, genius! Love your scientific evidence 😀

5. Malou Prestado
    19 January 2012 at 8:05 am (6 years ago)

Wow, I’d be careful not to introduce this muffin to so many people or I’ll be asked to bake this all the time. Thanks for this recipe.

19 January 2012 at 8:36 am (6 years ago)

SOLD! Though I’ve only just read the title. 😉 No, actually, you are so correct about it all – very, very healthy.

7. Amy
    19 January 2012 at 11:44 am (6 years ago)

I like your reasoning…I’m glad I’m not on a diet 😉

19 January 2012 at 12:03 pm (6 years ago)

I’ll take the red wine while I’m making them for the kids. 😉 I know they would LOVE these. I should really make chocolate for them more often. Maybe this will be next on my list. 🙂

19 January 2012 at 12:31 pm (6 years ago)

ha ha ha ..loved that you forgot what you were saying!! you are a riot! But I was looking for your kitchen! i will look further.,. c

19 January 2012 at 1:38 pm (6 years ago)

Oh I may have been misleading in my comments on your blog, my new kitchen post is still to come… More work to do first!

10. thedrivencook
    19 January 2012 at 1:38 pm (6 years ago)

Can’t argue with chocolate- you win!

11. Alexis @ There She Goes
    20 January 2012 at 1:45 am (6 years ago)

uh…i didnt even need those five reasons, i was sold on “chocolate’ 🙂

12. sportsglutton
    20 January 2012 at 2:44 am (6 years ago)

All my excuses not to eat these just went out the window. 🙂

13. Dionne Baldwin
    20 January 2012 at 3:55 pm (6 years ago)

As if I needed more reasons to eat chocolate! You certainly will help me justify. 🙂 These muffins look incredibly delicious. There is a birthday coming up for someone and he is more crazy about chocolate than any woman I have ever met so he will be getting these…and that list of reasons! Thank you!

14. thehomeheart
    21 January 2012 at 12:56 am (6 years ago)

I ♥ chocolate and I ♥ wine! Perfect combo 🙂 Great post and I will be sure to try this recipe.

15. Kay aka Babygirl
    21 January 2012 at 6:29 am (6 years ago)

Oh Aimee.. you spoke my language today.. and that is chocolate lol. I love your double chocolate muffins.. they look so darn scrumptious. yes, I wish I had these right about now

21 January 2012 at 9:52 am (6 years ago)

I like the name ‘double chocolate muffins’- it just sounds so chocolatey!
    Strictly for health purposes, I could use one right now;-)

21 January 2012 at 9:25 pm (6 years ago)

These look great, Clever. Thanks for the mention 😀

22 January 2012 at 6:23 am (6 years ago)

Great job!

19. bigmamalisa
    23 January 2012 at 12:16 pm (6 years ago)

I like the recipe and the pictures of these muffins (and sincerely agree that chocolate is purely beneficial), but best of all I love your sense of humor! Thank you for sharing.

24 January 2012 at 5:33 am (6 years ago)

Totally as good as going to the gym. Who would want to work out if you can eat these and get the same results? 😉 These look great!

21. Christina
    25 January 2012 at 10:38 am (6 years ago)

Mmmmm…nothing like chocolate to start the morning off right! These muffins look great! 🙂