Chocolate chip yogurt muffins

Here’s a healthy little alternative to regular chocolate chip muffins.

They’re more bread like in texture than a soft muffin, but they’re damn filling and taste great.

Waiting to be cooked

Waiting to be cooked

These pics are from a batch I made in London. Oh yes, I admit it, sometimes I don’t blog in real time.

*cue gasps*

I have a couple of leftover recipes from London days, where I first started this blog. And even though I have a batch of rice crispy bars in my kitchen at the moment I could have blogged about (they’re totally yummy and healthy, they’ll be here soon), I wanted to blog about these.

I miss my kitchen in London. It was about half the size of my current one and could only fit one person in it, but in I felt a bit like this:

Happy house wife
Except my neck isn’t broken. Seriously, what’s going on with her neck? What was I saying? Oh yea, she looks happy, that’s the point. And the light in my kitchen in London allowed for easy photos.

And this is how I feel about my current kitchen:

Yea. With the rolling pin and everything.

In fact, I’ve even gotten to the point where I think my kitchen and I are going to have to break up.  I’m not going to stop baking! That’s crazy talk. But I’ve been looking at different apartments this weekend. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

I’m not alone here right? Do you ever not feel a place, a room or a kitchen? Can I really blame plaster and appliances? I think I can. Well, I mean, it’s certainly not my fault.

And I’m nothing if not a woman of action. Don’t like something…gonna fix it.

In the meantime, enjoy a muffin recipe which is low in fat, but high in taste. Just like a good 1950’s housewife should be.

Chocolate chip yoghurt muffins

2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup plain fat-free or vanilla yogurt (vanilla will make it sweeter, I use plain)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup skim milk
1/3 cup light brown sugar or maple syrup (maple syrup gives them something extra special)
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with patty cases and spray with cooking oil.
  2. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, yogurt, oil, milk, sugar (or maple syrup), and vanilla.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  4. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and they bounce back to touch. Makes 12.

Healthy? 175 calories a muffin.

Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten day you bake them.

25 Comments on Chocolate chip yogurt muffins

1. Claire
    20 November 2011 at 5:34 pm (3 years ago)

I love your low fat muffin recipe! In time you’ll find the beauty of your new kitchen, at one point we need o be grateful of what we have. :)

2. thefooddoctor
    20 November 2011 at 6:01 pm (3 years ago)

I know what you mean about the feel of a place!
    sometimes you just click with a place, “feel at home” sort of speak and sometimes you just don’t

those muffins sound great! I love yogurt in baking

3. hotlyspiced
    20 November 2011 at 8:53 pm (3 years ago)

She needs her neck and shoulder manipulated by a chiropractor. But I still love the photo! My 18 year old son was in London for the summer and he had the best time. Would love to go back there. I can understand you missing London. Meanwhile…your yoghurt muffins look incredible.

4. When Harry Met Celery
    20 November 2011 at 8:58 pm (3 years ago)

This looks lovely. The texture of your muffin looks wonderful. Since I’m an eggless baker, I use a lot of yogurt in my baking. I’m going to try and work around the eggs though. Another lovely post, Clever Muffin :D

20 November 2011 at 11:27 pm (3 years ago)

They look very nice. I blog in real time these days (most of the time), but I didn’t up until a few months ago. I used to have really long lists of things I had to blog :D. It gets confusing, because I never wrote my recipes down!

21 November 2011 at 12:50 am (3 years ago)

“low in fat, but high in taste. Just like a good 1950’s housewife should be.”
    bwahahahahaha, love it.

There is something about natural light that simply makes cooking a whole lot more fun! Who am I kidding? Natural light improves my mood in every room of the house. Good luck with the apartment search!

21 November 2011 at 2:08 am (3 years ago)

Oh my! Yes, that’s exactly how I feel about my kitchen! Unfortunately I can’t go get a new apartment. I have to wait until we save up enough to blow this bad-boy up! ;) Until then, I might secretly utter unkind words at it (when the kids aren’t listening of course!). And the yogurt has to make these so moist and yummy. :)

21 November 2011 at 2:11 am (3 years ago)

I think it’s all about light sometimes… I love my kitchen but the light doesn’t get in because of overhanging eaves. Doubly difficult to photograph in winter when the sun sets so early. There is no way these are low-fat!! I will have to make them because I’m in trouble for baking so many waist-busting recipes lately that my family is up in arms!!

9. Angie@Angiesrecipes
    21 November 2011 at 2:59 am (3 years ago)

Those muffins look so soft and moist. Bet they taste marvelous!

10. patty
    21 November 2011 at 3:06 am (3 years ago)

Hi Aimee!
    I know what you mean about the relationship you have with your kitchen. I have a nice space but it’s dark and horrible for photos so I take pictures on my dining table or outside which is also dark, lots of trees. Your delicious muffin recipe is an interesting one with the yogurt, olive oil and chocolate chips. I hope you find the right space for your lovely baking ;-)

11. Kay aka Babygirl
    21 November 2011 at 3:52 am (3 years ago)

I love chocolate as you know lol, but adding yogurt to muffins? I definitely have to try it. I just have this feeling it will be amazing. And the last photo of the woman holding up the rolling pin looks like my mom when she wants us out her kitchen lol

12. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide
    21 November 2011 at 3:52 am (3 years ago)

I hardly blog in real time. I do a big meal, a few posts and get ahead. That’s not bad, it’s being organized! Anyway, I know Katherine would love these. I wish I’d seen them last night, I would’ve surprised her!

13. Dionne Baldwin
    21 November 2011 at 12:22 pm (3 years ago)

I just love the looks of these muffins. Now I’m curious what’s up with her neck…is she on the imaginary phone?? I totally understand not-feeling a kitchen.

I love adding yogurt to baked goods! I think I should try these muffins because I need an excuse to eat chocolate.

14. thedrivencook
    21 November 2011 at 12:57 pm (3 years ago)

I like the healthy alternative! They look moist too!

21 November 2011 at 1:15 pm (3 years ago)

These look delicious! And when I blog in real-time, it’s usually because I’ve fallen desperately behind (or am desperately lazy). :) I love that this is a healty version, too – wouldn’t feel too bad eating my usual 4 muffins at a time.

16. sportsglutton
    22 November 2011 at 1:25 am (3 years ago)

I used to make a muffin similar to this back in the day when I was a baker. Always so delicious. Well done!

22 November 2011 at 2:24 am (3 years ago)

Those homemakers are a little scary! Great post, though!
    I would never have considered marrying those ingredients, but you pulled it off with your own distinctive creativity and flair – as usual!

22 November 2011 at 3:44 am (3 years ago)

I didn’t know there was any other way than blogging in real time. Well, maybe a few re-posts lately. I am so glad you have enlightened me Aimee. I need a bite of those muffins…well maybe the whole batch really. They look fantastic and the yogurt sounds tart and perfect in them. Sorry about your yucky kitchen. :( Hope you find a better match soon. Take care.

19. spicegirlfla
    22 November 2011 at 12:36 pm (3 years ago)

Low fat AND chocolate..oh ya, I’m loving that! I don’t currently love my kitchen either. When I was married, I had a real,big, gorgeous kitchen, I could have been happy in that kitchen for the rest of my life! But I couldn’t say that about the marriage, so now I’m happy in my new life and kitchen, just not loving it..the kitchen that is!

20. Muffinella Cupcakes barcelona
    14 December 2011 at 2:37 am (3 years ago)

thanks for sharing your recipe!

I am always looking for something new, to bake, eat and write in my blog,…I will try this one soon

The pictures are really good quality! I also love to take pictures of my muffins. And I like the retro-style of some pictures in your blog!

regards, Muffinella

21. Chen Weiling
    1 August 2012 at 5:54 am (2 years ago)

Chanced upon your recipe while haphazardly googling choc chip muffins with my 21-month-old on my lap. Tried it with the toddler and was amazed at how light, and non-greasy they came out. So very easy to do and sweetness level was mummy-approved! Thanks for sharing.. (=

22. Kelsey
    27 March 2013 at 11:09 am (2 years ago)

Came across this on Pinterest and love the recipe. Thank you for sharing!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Chocolate chip yogurt muffins

1. [...] from Clever Muffin  cracks me up!  When I met her she was living in London (so cool) and now she has moved back to [...]

2. [...] all I needed out of the pantry and fridge and went to my happy place. I discovered this recipe from Clever Muffin Blog, which has a great recipe for Chocolate Chip muffins on that link. Now I had no chocolate chips so [...]