Low fat full-of-berries muffins

Made with two cups of berries, kept good and moist with a cup of stewed apples, will fill you up thanks to some bran and no added butter? Yea, these are a keeper.

I was going start this with ‘full of taste and low in fat’ before I realised I sounded like a bad marketing slogan for milk. Low fat or low sugar food is so often disappointing. Low fat muffins are either crumbly or half the size of normal ones. And that makes me mad; when there are so many good butter/oil substitutes like yoghurt or stewed fruit, why compromise?

These muffins don’t make me mad, they make me want a cup of tea and a good book.

My handy wordpress stats tell me a lot of people google low fat muffins. So, if that’s how you got here (welcome!) and let me add that in my humble opinion there two other great low fat muffins also worth considering – the Chocolate carrot muffins (I swear, consistency of chocolate cake) and Apple oatmeal muffins. All under 200 calories a pop, all filling and delicious.

And now to for low fat berry muffins…

1 egg
1 ½ tablespoons oil
¾ cup golden syrup
1 ¾ cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons of baking soda
¾ cup oat bran
1 cup unsweetened stewed apple or rhubarb (I used 3 small green apples). You can also replace this ingredient with canned pie apple or pie fruit.
2 cups berries (I used 1 cup raspberries, 1 cup blueberries)

1. Preheat oven to 200 C. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with patty cases and spray with cooking oil.
  2. If making stewed apple, peel them and put them in a saucepan over a low heat just covered in water. Cook and add more water until you have an apple moosh.
  3. Mix all ingredients together until just combined. It will be very amusing gray/blue colour. Don’t worry, it’ll come good.
  4. Spoon into prepared muffin tray and bake for 25 minutes. Makes 12.

Healthy: 180 calories a muffin, and it’s all good stuff in there, as you can see.

Gluten free: Switching out the flour in these for any gluten free alternative would work well. They’re moist enough and have enough binding ingredients to carry it off.

Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days. Store in an airtight container.

Source: modified from the Muffin Bible full of berry muffins.

11 Comments on Low fat full-of-berries muffins

1. Aimee@clevermuffin
    9 November 2011 at 8:12 am (6 years ago)

Argh…. comments were disabled for some reason. Damn you interwebs!! Fixed now.

2. Anonymous
    9 November 2011 at 1:06 pm (6 years ago)

Oooh with all the rich foods coming up for the holidays, I’m happy to see a healthy, but very delicious muffin!!

10 November 2011 at 3:58 am (6 years ago)

I shall have to attempt some of my own low fat muffins – damn this health craze. I never thought I’d condone something low-fat, but truth be told, they look wonderful, Clever.

4. JamieAnne
    11 November 2011 at 3:05 am (6 years ago)

The interwebs is a b-itch sometimes huh?

These look lovely and very Nom-able….it’s a word, I’m sure. 😀

5. Karen
    11 November 2011 at 7:21 am (6 years ago)

Healthy should still taste good and these muffins sound like they would be great. At the time of the year when we tend to eat more and eat richer foods your muffins make great sense.

6. Words Of Deliciousness
    11 November 2011 at 2:55 pm (6 years ago)

Healthy is always good. Healthy and tasty is even better. Your muffins look delicious!

12 November 2011 at 9:12 am (6 years ago)

I really like my berry muffins absolutely stuffed with fruit. Yours look great!

12 November 2011 at 9:29 am (6 years ago)

I am so on a a low-fat kick right now and these muffins look like the perfect thing to bring to my “Biggest Losers” weight loss group tomorrow. I love bringing them stuff to eat. I am always the naughty girl who’s giving them more food. 😉 Thanks for my next bit of ammunition. These look soooooooooo good.

9. hotlyspiced
    13 November 2011 at 9:19 am (6 years ago)

It’s breakfast time and a couple of those muffins would be perfect.

10. thefooddoctor
    14 November 2011 at 5:05 pm (6 years ago)

I find low fat muffins that are so small irritating too lol
    I had the same thought when I saw your picture, all I need is to make these and enjoy the company of tea and a good book

11. Kelly
    14 March 2012 at 12:40 pm (5 years ago)

Ummmm, YUM!
    These are awesome… Thanks for the recipe. I will Definately be making these again.