This soft, melt-in-your-mouth double chocolate chip cookie was one of the first things I learnt to make. I guess I was about nine and what I really like is the directions I wrote to myself as I made mistakes. My recipe reads, in wonky handwriting:
“Don’t overcook them or they’ll turn into rocks, they’re better soft”
“Make sure there (sic) completely cooled down before putting in tin”
Thanks nine-year old Aimee. Noted.
I actually remember the time that I made a double batch and put them into the tin before they’d cooled. I was so excited about the prospect of 48 double chocolate chip cookies I started piling them into a tin just so I could see the chocolatey goodness en masse.
Yeah. Don’t do that. Wait till they’re cooled. Even nine year olds know that.
These are soft and just a little crunchy on the outside. Highly recommended.
125 grams butter, softened
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 large egg
1 cup plain flour
4 tablespoons cocoa (or flour if you want to make them plain)
½ teaspoon baking powder
125 grams of dark and/or light chocolate chips, I like to do ½ and ½
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line two cookie trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter and both sugars together until consistent and creamy looking (note: as a child I know that I didn’t used to beat them together, I just melted the butter and mixed it all together. It worked fine. Not sure why as a, erm, grown up I am going for the more traditional method).
- Add egg and vanilla essence and beat together.
- Put flour, cocoa and baking powder in your bowl and mix together. Fold in chocolate.
- Take a teaspoon of mixture and roll into a bowl, then flatten slightly with a floured fork (again, as a child I just squished it with my hand, no harm done)
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, turning half way. 8 minutes is usually plenty, have the guts to pull them out when you think they might be underdone. It’s better that way.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool (I didn’t even know what a cooling rack was when I was a kid, so whatever).
Makes 24 fabulous cookies.
Healthy: 125 calories a cookie
Gluten free: Nooo.
Storage: Wait till cool, then in an airtight container. Lasts a week or so, if you can.