Home made muesli bars

This week I think I’ve been channelling one of my favourite food bloggers, Frugal Feeding (worth checking out for good dinner inspiration), and finding alternatives to excessive spending.

I’m blaming the currency transition from pounds to Australia dollars, which I’ve recently done moving back to Australia, but dang food seems expensive at the moment. And $5 for a pack of five muesli bars, which I could see were mainly just oats and glucose syrup, is not cool.

So off to my favourite pick-n-mix store I went and bought lots of oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruit. Obviously my initial outlay of at the pick and mix store was a few dollars more than the store bought muesli bars. However I use these ingredients for bread making and muffins, so feel it’s justified. And I have heaps leftover for more muesli bars!

You’ll be needing a few of these things

Now I have 30 muesli bars. I estimate these cost me around $4 to make. So I’ve made $14. This is plenty enough to go to the pub this sunny afternoon and have a couple of beers. Which by my math, are now free! Free beer I tell you!

Budgeting whizz kid. That’s what they call me.

These are dead simple to make and I was impressed how perfect they worked for a first time try. I’ve put notes below about switching out ingredients, making them gluten-free etc. I’m keen to experiment with flax seed to substitute out some of the butter, and will update when I have.

½ cup (125mL) honey (or half half honey and peanut butter)
¼ cup caster sugar
125g butter
3 cups rolled oats (see note for GF)
1 cup rice bubbles
½ cups sultanas
½ cup dried apricots
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cups almonds
¼ cup pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels), sunflower or sesame seeds (I used a combination of all three)

1. Preheat oven to 180°C
  2. Grease and line a slice tray (mine is 25 x 38cm cookie tray) with baking paper
  3. Combine honey, sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium heat
  4. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until butter melts and sugar dissolves
  5. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly
  6. Remove from heat
  7. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl
  8. Pour hot syrup over dry ingredients and stir to combine
  9. Spoon into prepared pan and press firmly to make sure the mixture will stick together, I used baking paper to press down so it doesn’t stick to your fingers
  10. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden. To help them stick together I get some baking paper, put it on top of the cooked slice, then stack another tray on top and load it up with some weight for a couple of hours. I use dictionaries and the like.
  11. Cool and then refrigerate until well chilled and cut into 18 – 24 slices

Quantity: Makes 30 bars at about 9cm x 3cm. Cut to the size you like.

Notes

• The mixture has a total of 1½ cups of dried fruit – use whatever combination you prefer
  • You can substitute in desiccated coconut for the almonds if you need to be nut-free
  • You could use half honey, half smooth peanut butter in the ‘syrup’

Healthy: With the ingredients I used they are 163 calories if you cut it into 24 bars, or 130 if you make 30. Which is good compared to commercial stuff.

Gluten free: To make these muesli bars gluten free, use 2 cups of crushed cornflakes and 2 cups of rice bubbles (as long as your corn flakes are gluten free). Otherwise use gluten free oats.

Storage: In an airtight container these will keep well. Or you can freeze them.

Source: Recipe created by Melissa Hughes for Kidspot.

17 Comments on Home made muesli bars

25 September 2011 at 7:24 pm (5 years ago)

Yay! Thanks :D. Good to see I’m having some impact 😛

2. belovedgreen
    25 September 2011 at 10:21 pm (5 years ago)

I am a huge fan of Muesli bars, yours look delish. My Danish family introduced me to muesli and it is a staple for me know.

3. Tina@flourtrader
    26 September 2011 at 9:44 am (5 years ago)

I am saving this recipe for when I visit the grocer that has the bulk bins. It is a great idea to make your own snacks at home, especially if they are as healthy as these. I definitely will try-thanks for sharing.

26 September 2011 at 6:05 pm (5 years ago)

These look like such a better version than my store bought one. The ingredients are so wholesome and your bars look fab!

26 September 2011 at 10:09 pm (5 years ago)

What a great snack! These sound very yummy. :)

26 September 2011 at 10:23 pm (5 years ago)

These look really great. I love granola bars and these sound delicious.

7. patty
    28 September 2011 at 3:13 am (5 years ago)

I’m not sure what a rice bubble is!? Maybe rice krispies!? But, you make me laugh as I think you’ve figured out how to make money blogging, make the things you like to eat at home(BETTER FOR SURE) and save money for important things like beer;-) I need to get on it and whip up some homemade bars, I just bought two boxes at the store, no beer for me;-)

1 October 2011 at 5:15 pm (5 years ago)

These look so good. I’ll have to try them, the recipe I made this summer wouldn’t stay stuck together, just crumbled when I cut them in squares:( Btw, I chose you for Versatile Blogger:) Have an awesome day.

2 October 2011 at 1:26 pm (5 years ago)

They’re not as solid as a store bought one, but I was really quite happy at how well they stuck together. There find in your handbag wrapped in cling film (I’d know!). Thanks so much for the award! That’s awesome, made my day :)

8 October 2011 at 4:08 am (5 years ago)

I think my daughter will make you an honorary BFF when she sees this post!

10. Ginger
    9 October 2011 at 12:17 am (5 years ago)

Glorious! These must taste sooo much better than those packaged ones! I’m adding the ingredients to my shopping list! Yay! I love it!

11. Androgoth
    12 October 2011 at 9:56 am (5 years ago)

These look delicious :)

Now where are those muffins and
    chocolate cookies? I am sure the
    coffee will be nice and hot too…

I am rather hungry after looking at
    these home made muesli bars…

Androgoth

12. Claudette
    14 November 2012 at 9:36 pm (4 years ago)

This is a great recipe and I have tried many different variations of goodies inside. The way to keep them together is to cook the syrup longer. The more sticky the syrup the more sticky the final product!

14 November 2012 at 10:36 pm (4 years ago)

Awesome tip! I’m going to give that a go next time and see the difference :) it took me so long to find a recipe that would actually stick …

13. Pigs and Bishops
    12 November 2013 at 3:23 pm (3 years ago)

The perfect recipe to use up bits and pieces from the pantry before we move house – and the perfect snack to occupy a toddler on the very long drive to the new place. I substituted tahini for the peanut butter (because it was there) and put in a few tablespoons of treacle instead of adding sugar (ditto). Fingers crossed it comes together :)

I’d never thought to weight the bars before cutting them – that’s brilliant.