These muffins are little pockets of lemony-coconut magic. They have a level of moistness usually only found in friands.
The uncooked muffins are topped with shredded coconut, cooked, and then have lemon syrup poured on top. This gives them this amazing crunchy-sour-sweet thing going on.
I didn’t make these muffins. Last week I moved back to Melbourne from London and was too busy, well, moving in to my new apartment, to bake.
But my friend Megan (who has posted on here previously) rocked up on my door step and filled my freezer with a variety of muffins (oh yes, more than one type) to tie me over until I could get baking again. How lovely is that?
Oh, and she bought wine, cheese and a few baking basics to get me started. Yea, I know! I’d marry her too if I was that way inclined.
These lemon syrup and coconut muffins were so pretty and tasty I asked her to write up the recipe for me.
My new oven and I are currently eyeing each other up like two cowboys in a western. I can literally here the spurs on our boots rustling as we start our ten paces. So while I stand in my kitchen staring at my oven crazy-like over a glass of wine, here is Megan’s write up.
Take it away Megan!…
When life hands you lemons, make muffins!
This lovely, moist muffin recipe comes via an old work mate, Maggie, who used to keep me really well fed with a variety of yummy soups, desserts and pickles and jams.
You’ll need two lemons for this recipe to get enough juice and rind.
2 cups self-raising flour
90 grams butter, at room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon grated lemon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup coconut cream or milk
2 tablespoons shredded coconut
½ cup caster sugar
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
¼ cup lemon juice
- Preheat an oven to 190 degrees and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl, rub in butter with your fingers. Stir in sugar, coconut, rind, egg and coconut cream.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared tin, sprinkle with the shredded coconut and bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and muffins are golden.
- To prepare lemon syrup: Combine all ingredients in pan, stir over heat, without boiling until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for two minutes without stirring.
- Pour hot lemon syrup over hot muffins and then turn onto a wire rack to cool. Makes 12
Healthy? 270 calories a muffin.
Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days. Store in airtight container.