World’s best brownies

If you like your brownies like one big slab of moist chocolate filled with chocolate chips and macadamias then look no further. Bookmark this page, hand across my heart I tell you this is the best recipe ever.

If you like your brownies a bit lighter and cake-like, then go google cake recipes this is no place for you and your namby pamby brownie ideas.

Thank you to my cousin Michelle, and her co-worker Katherine who penned the recipe.

Just check out the ingredients you’ll need (I doubled the recipe, so your quantities won’t be quite so much).

Place sugar and flour in a bowl, and add your beaten eggs.

Melt your butter and dark chocolate on a super low heat.

That’s real chocolate right there.

Now add that to your bowl too. Stir well.

Fold through the milk choc chips, white choc chips and optional macadamia.

The spoon-cam says it all really.

Put it in a greased tray. Bake it. Eat it. Eat some more. Stop. You will start feeling sick.

This is going to be my last post for a little while as I’m due to get on an aeroplane any day now as I am moving back to Melbourne. I have a few minor things to sort out, job, house, car, life. You know, those little pesky things.

Very excitedly, I have a couple of boxes of kitchen goods waiting for me in a storage unit. Oh the joy of it! More than one mixing bowl! Electric beaters! Different plates! I’ll be back…

1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
125g butter chopped
200g dark chocolate
150g white chocolate chopped
100g milk chocolate chopped
Optional: 100 grams of chopped macadamia nuts

1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a 25cm square tin with baking paper. Tip: If you spray the tin with olive oil before the paper it makes it easier to line.
  2. Place flour, sugar and beaten eggs in a bowl, stir well.
  3. Melt dark chocolate and butter. WAIT! It’s very easy to burn chocolate while melting it. A lot of recipes tell you to use a water bath. A lot of effort. I don’t bother. As long as you keep it on a super low temperature on the stove and stir it as you go, you should be right. With that in mind, place your chopped butter and dark chocolate in a saucepan on the stove on a very low heat. Stir Stir Stir. The butter will start to melt. The melted butter will start to melt the dark chocolate. Take the saucepan off the heat before all the chocolate is melted and let the heat of the melted butter and chocolate finish it off. Better safe than sorry, you can always return to the heat.
  4. Pour the dark chocolate and butter mixture into your bowl with the flour-egg mix and stir well.
  5. Fold through your milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and optional macadamias. Eat some batter. Nom Nom.
  6. Pour in to your prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. This was my first time making brownies and I was a bit concerned about when I’d know they were done. I looked up what Jamie Oliver said on the matter which helped me hugely “You don’t want to overcook them so, unlike cakes, you don’t want a skewer to come out all clean. The brownies should be slightly springy on the outside but still gooey in the middle. Allow to cool in the tray, then carefully transfer to a large chopping board and cut into chunky squares.” Thanks Jamie! When you jiggle your brownie tray the middle should move a little.
  7. Eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Or serve with ice cream for dessert. Makes 15 pieces.

Healthy? There is nothing healthy about this. 300 terrible-but-totally-worth-it calories a slice if you cut them into 15 pieces.

Gluten free: Brownies are easily adapted to a gluten free flour mix. Just switch out the flour for your favourite substitute.

Storage: They keep well in an airtight container. Padlock and key are handy too.

26 Comments on World’s best brownies

1 September 2011 at 3:07 pm (3 years ago)

These do look amazing, the perfect consistency… but I’m afraid mine are the best :D

2. Erin
    1 September 2011 at 3:39 pm (3 years ago)

Mmm loving all the chunks of goodness in there!

1 September 2011 at 5:34 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks! And I agree, macadamias make everything better!

3. Modern Mrs. Cleaver
    1 September 2011 at 5:02 pm (3 years ago)

They look scrumptious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

1 September 2011 at 6:36 pm (3 years ago)

I’ve been on the lookout for brownies… my son’s favorite treat. He begged me to make something really decadent before the end of summer (he’s been on a healthy, low sugar diet for hockey) so… thanks, I’m definitely making this one…

2 September 2011 at 8:33 am (3 years ago)

Going low sugar to this will have him bouncing off the walls! Hope he likes it.

5. thefooddoctor
    1 September 2011 at 8:04 pm (3 years ago)

Will miss you and your amazing creations Aimee
    I bookmarked the recipe and will try it SOON
    loved the spoon cam…I should get me one ;)

2 September 2011 at 8:35 am (3 years ago)

Thank you Sawsan! I’ll be back real soon. And with any luck I’ll have a new duty free camera to make an even better spoon cam :)

6. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide
    1 September 2011 at 11:44 pm (3 years ago)

I am no namby pamby. I want these. Have fun in Melbourne. Katherine and I were there for a vacation in 2008. Great city. Love Yarra Valley and the Great Ocean Road too.

2 September 2011 at 8:37 am (3 years ago)

I know you’re no namby pamby – and I’m glad to hear you got out and saw a bit more or Victoria then just Melbourne!

2 September 2011 at 12:21 am (3 years ago)

These do look like the best brownies ever. I think I will believe you and make these. I love the shot with all of your ingredients. It makes me drool. Love the Spoon cam as well. Have as safe trip and a good move. :)

2 September 2011 at 8:40 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Geni! Very glad you’ll take my word for it.

8. Ginger
    2 September 2011 at 3:28 am (3 years ago)

I love brownies! I make some fantastic ones, but I think I’ll give these a try. I loooove macadamia nuts :D

3 September 2011 at 5:28 am (3 years ago)

These brownies look better than amazing to me! This is like being tortured by chocolate-looking but not being able to touch;-)

10. patty
    7 September 2011 at 12:38 am (3 years ago)

Hi Aimee, I’m back to look at your brownies one more time and let you know that I tagged you in the seven link challenge- if you’ve got the time -it’s worth it!
    I also have 2 awards for you so check out my blog when you have a chance, Best wishes, Patty

9 September 2011 at 2:46 am (3 years ago)

Thank you so much Patty!! This has made my day – and I needed it – I’m surrounded by boxes, barely unpacked after a very long plane flight and can barely get my laptop to connect to the internet at the wif cafe down the road from me. I’m more inspired now to tackle the boxes marked ‘kitchen’.

Your seven links challenge post is one of the best I’ve seen – if anyone hasn’t checked it out they should pop over right now and be prepared to drool! http://pattysfood.com/

11. easybaked
    12 September 2011 at 1:57 am (3 years ago)

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) These look soooo good (I want one right now!!!) Love your spoon cam too- very fun! Hope your move goes well- hope you are back to posting soon! :)

12. Aimee
    12 September 2011 at 2:17 pm (3 years ago)

Mmmm yes please!!! Do want NOW :D

13. greengeekgirl
    14 September 2011 at 8:05 pm (3 years ago)

I cannot even deal with this. I need these in my belly. I am also going to Press this on my recipe site, because everyone else needs them in their belly, too.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on World’s best brownies