Raspberry scones

Here are some important things to know about scones:

(Points 4 & 5 and the most poignant for me.)

1.  An original ‘proper’ scone was about the size of a dinner plate, made of oats and baked on a griddle.
  2. Then it was cut into the triangle like shapes you see today, which are called scones. The large round cake was referred to as a bannock.
  3. Another common variety is the dropped scone which just requires you to literally grab a chunk of batter and fry it or cook it on ya griddle. Or, the oven.
  4. I learnt to make scones at a one day bread making course at the old Convent Bakery in Melbourne. The baker was totally hot.
  5. They’re yum.

This recipe was the one given to me at my baking course. The hot baker used what I’d called the drop method. His words were something like ‘scones should be rustic looking, just grab handfuls of dough and chuck it on your tray’.

So I follow his cooking method because he seemed very hot wise.

Dropped on the tray, waiting to be cooked.

400 grams self raising flour (about 3 heaped cups)
30 grams sugar (about 2 ½ tablespoons)
2 pinches of salt
40 grams butter, softened
1 cup milk
Optional: 80-100 grams raspberries, blueberries, sultanas or chocolate chips
Optional: dash of cinnamon

(I used 100 grams of raspberries and a dash of cinnamon)

1. Preheat oven to 240 C. Line a tray with baking paper.
  2. Place flour, sugar and salt in a bowl
  3. Fold through the butter to make the mixture like bread crumbs, then add milk
  4. Don’t over mix, gently bring all ingredients together, add your optional flavouring
  5. Place handfuls of dough on trays (as pictured above)
  6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden on top. Makes about 12.

Best served hot, with lots of butter, jam and cream!

Healthy? Plain scone with no flavour is about 155. With raspberries they’re 160, with sultanas about 185.

Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days. Store in airtight container.

References:
1.    Wikipedia
2.    The hot baker at  Convent Bakery

23 Comments on Raspberry scones

1. simplycooking101
    28 August 2011 at 10:21 pm (6 years ago)

These look amazing and with my very favorite raspberries I will definitely give them a try. Also I admire the “hot baker” chucking them on the tray is my kind of plan!

29 August 2011 at 6:50 pm (6 years ago)

Raspberries make everything better! And if it’s good enough for the hot baker then I think it should definitely be good enough for us!

2. andy1076
    28 August 2011 at 10:30 pm (6 years ago)

The oven is my arch enemy when it comes to cooking, i cook pretty good when it comes to stir fry , grill etc but when it comes to baking! oooh!! but these look incredible and i feel like making them! :) thank you for sharing!

29 August 2011 at 6:49 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you! Well I can’t grill to save my life, I just end up with dry flakey meat. But I have faith that you and your oven could make peace. And I think scones are a pretty good fail-safe (famous last words!).

3. Alexandra
    28 August 2011 at 10:47 pm (6 years ago)

I love raspberries! Those look really yummy, especially topped with the whipped cream!

-Alexandra

29 August 2011 at 6:52 pm (6 years ago)

Only way to have it! I’m also a fan of them with lemon butter. Mmmm.

28 August 2011 at 11:50 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks for educating me about scones. I didn’t know most of that! These look insanely delicious by the way. Thanks for sharing. I love this blog.

5. Anonymous
    29 August 2011 at 1:15 am (6 years ago)

Lol hilarious and delicious :)

6. Ginger
    29 August 2011 at 3:19 pm (6 years ago)

I’ve never made scones! I am so excited to try these! They look fantastic!

29 August 2011 at 6:26 pm (6 years ago)

Hot baker, raspberry scones? I’m IN! :) These look fantastic…please have tea with me and bring some scones. You can stay in sunny So. Cal at my place. We have one Golden Retriever, two teenagers (one is sometimes surly, that’s not going to change anytime soon I believe) and one sweet Hubby who will gladly barbecue for us. Please don’t ask him to cook anything indoors, he might burn the house down. No hot bakers that I am aware of in the vicinity, BUT Top Chef’s Fabio Viviani has a restaurant about 10 minutes away. We can go there for lunch.

29 August 2011 at 6:45 pm (6 years ago)

Done and done! I love golden retrievers and BBQ’s and feel that totally outweighs a surly teenager. I will bring a variety of scones and perhaps some lovely Australian wine to sweeten the deal.

I was in California earlier this year, so you should watch out with offers like this!

29 August 2011 at 7:12 pm (6 years ago)

I love baking with raspberry…these sound delicious! Always a plus when the baker/teacher is hot, huh? 😉 Great recipe.

9. lovetotrain
    29 August 2011 at 10:47 pm (6 years ago)

i was kinda disappointed there were no pics of the hot baker on their website! although not sure anything could be as yummy looking as those scones. YUM!

31 August 2011 at 4:43 pm (5 years ago)

Love your scones… as always a great recipe… tried to find the “hot” baker on their website, but to no avail… I guess a trip is in order :)

31 August 2011 at 9:14 pm (5 years ago)

oh wow, you did scones as well! that is great.. i do like this recipe and the history, my mother used to make them as big as a plate and she called them porridge scones! now it all makes sense. c

12. belovedgreen
    5 September 2011 at 5:44 pm (5 years ago)

I kind of adore the “Spoon Cam” not to mention, these do look like pretty awesome brownies!

13. bigbutter
    12 October 2011 at 5:43 am (5 years ago)

I’m going to make these, they look so good! Oh..and thanks for converting your measurements..we really are dumb Americans and very much need the help haha

12 October 2011 at 6:59 am (5 years ago)

Oh, you wouldn’t believe how often I look at recipes and go ‘how much is a stick of butter again’… back to google!

14. Anonymous
    28 November 2011 at 9:02 am (5 years ago)

Why didnt I hear about this? I want these ones bad

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Raspberry scones

1. […] spoken about scones here before when I made raspberry scones. In fact I went all out and gave a bit of a history lesson […]