Chewy peanut butter brownies

Chew peanut butter brownie

These brownies are, very literally, my personal brownie points. Because, as I’ve previously mentioned when making peanut butter choc chip cookies, I don’t like peanut butter.

So when I make something with peanut butter in it for you, I feel this is the epitomy of where I should earn some brownie points. I baked this with love, and I won’t even eat any.

It’s like when a vegetarian cooks meat for you. I’ve had two vego friends do that, and I’m not even a big meat eater. It was just sweet.

Chewy peanut butter brownie

Huh, I just compared my dislike for an innocuous paste to an ethical abstaining of animal products.

Back track.

These brownies came from another blogger whose food I love. So I knew her brownie recommendation would be solid. Thanks Sarah from The Pajama Chef.

While looking at my photos of these brownies (which were taken a few months ago when I first made them) I came across this one of me on the floor.

Chew peanut butter brownie

I shoot most of my photos on the floor, as does the Pajama Chef (you can tell by the floor boards – sorry Sarah, I love your photos but we know it’s true!).

In case non-bloggers or start-up-bloggers were wondering how to get the best light, or why there are so many floor boards in photos this is the honest truth – try everywhere in your house. The most akward place, generally on the floor, is where the best light and setup is.

Just a little tip from me to you. Because I don’t want to talk about peanut butter.

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups dark (semi-sweet) chocolate chips*

*in the pictured brownies I have used half dark chocolate and half milk. My second batch I used all dark and recommend it.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease a 9×9 baking pan with cooking spray.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together peanut butter and butter. Add sugars and vanilla.
  3. Then mix until creamy, scraping the sides as needed. Next, add egg. Beat on low until light and fluffy.
  4. Slowly add flour and baking powder and beat until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  5. Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth out with spatula.
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting.

Gluten free: To be honest, if I was going to convert this over I’d be looking at a denser version of brownie, this is already a bit crumbly.

Healthy? Pffffft. Nah.

Makes: 12 large brownie pieces depending on size.

Source: The Pajama Chef, via what megan’s making.

8 Comments on Chewy peanut butter brownies

1. Anamaria
    29 May 2013 at 11:41 pm (2 years ago)

what a great tip about the photography! thanks a lot for sharing! great post by the way! Anamaria

2. Sarah
    29 May 2013 at 11:53 pm (2 years ago)

i’ll have to try ‘em with dark chocolate chips! and yes- you figured out my secret about photography. in our apartment, we only have windows along one side & sometimes the light is decent enough to push the coffee table up against the window and use that but 99% of the time i use the porch! :) best light there is! too bad my neighbors probably think i’m crazy. haha. thanks for your kind words, aimee :)

3. reveriewriter
    30 May 2013 at 12:10 am (2 years ago)

I never used to be a peanut butter fan either. Then we had an American teacher stay with us to get a feel of what it’s like to live in Australia … in Geelong, LOL … and her mom sent us peanut butter cups and peanut butter m&ms! Oh my gosh, I’m still getting hangovers from that party in my mouth! I have now uncovered the amazing that is sweet with salty. A peanut butter & chocolate milkshake from Max Brenner’s Chocolate Bar was my third discovery and now I’m completely sold on peanut butter as having its own place within the food pyramid.
    Long story short, I WILL be baking these brownies.

4. Amy
    30 May 2013 at 10:27 am (2 years ago)

you really don’t like peanut butter?!?!? These look totally awesome. I actually should try making things I don’t like so I don’t eat them all :)

5. Holly
    30 May 2013 at 5:45 pm (2 years ago)

I don’t like peanut butter – but I make some brownies with blobs of it simply on top and I love it like that – like molten snickers!

6. Victoria
    31 May 2013 at 12:19 am (2 years ago)

These look great….and nice tip! :) Sometimes the best lighting, for me, is on the picnic table on the porch but I’ll be trying the floor now. :)

5 June 2013 at 6:46 am (2 years ago)

These look delish Aimee. I love your selfy and the photo tips! ;) Why did you have to make peanut butter brownies if you don’t like them? Who were they for? Couldn’t you just make some chocolate ones? Inquiring minds want to know.

8. The Global Garnish Geek
    6 June 2013 at 6:01 am (2 years ago)

There are lovely photos (and brownies). And the photo on the floor is great. Now I don’t feel so bad as I have taken some on my deck (where light is always better than in the house). The trick is convincing my dog that I haven’t placed the food there for her….