Apple, custard and white choc muffins

Apple, custard and white choc muffins

Let me tell you a story about men, and the mystery of custard powder.

While serving these Apple and White Choc muffins up to a couple of visitors at my house, a man asked “how do you get the custard in?”

Good question. Very good question.

Well. I said. (I hesitated here…should I lie?) I used custard powder. I’m not quite sure what else he thought I would have done.

Apple, custard and white choc muffins

Another man, a friend of my boyfriend’s came around a year ago and said he’d learnt to make custard it was really easy and had brought ice cream and custard for dessert.

Not to mock the man (ANY man) who brings dessert, but when the time I came I followed him into the kitchen as I’d never seen custard made from scratch before. But low and behold he rocked out a box of custard powder and proceeded to follow the instructions on the back.

And yes, he was serious, he had ‘learnt’ to make custard powder. I also *think* he doesn’t read my blog (eek). Otherwise there may be less dessert bringing in the future.

Apple, custard and white choc muffins

I actually have never made custard from scratch. In Tenille’s Terrific Trifle she does an amazing thing where she adds a whole lot of to-die-for ingredients (corn flour, sugar, egg yolks, cream, lemon rind, butter, vanilla extract) and some custard powder to make her custard layer. Believe me, you’d marry that custard.

But with this muffin, adding the custard powder is the perfectly complementary flavour to an otherwise lovely muffin.

Men world wide will be simultaneously baffled and pleased. Now I must get my boyfriend to proof read my post who will probably tell me off as he does some (er, most) of the cooking (NOT baking) in our house and I’m being sexist.

Enjoy!

2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 tablespoons custard powder
¾ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup fat free plain yogurt (not sweetened)
¾ cup lite milk
1 egg
1 heaped cup of white chocolate chips
1 green apple, peeled and chopped (I weighed the chopped apple, it was 50 grams, but just use what you have)
Garnish: Extra ¼ green apple, sliced thinly, to top

1. Preheat the oven to 190 C. Grease a muffin tin or line with patty cases and spray with cooking oil.
  2. Peel, de-core and chop up your apple.
  3. In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, custard powder, brown sugar and nutmeg together.
  4. Make a well in the centre and add oil, yogurt, milk, egg, choc chips and apple.
  5. Using a large wooden spoon mix until just combined.
  6. Spoon into the muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and muffins are golden.

Healthy? 290 calories a muffin.

Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days.

Makes: 12 muffins.

11 Comments on Apple, custard and white choc muffins

1. Anna
    5 January 2013 at 11:31 am (1 year ago)

This muffin recipe look awesome. I love custard and apple so I know I will love muffins with both.

For what it is worth I can say that having made custard it from scratch, including the whole adding multiple egg yolks and vanilla pods and gently heating the milk that I think custard powder does it better (at least to the extent that my cooking skills will allow) every time!

5 January 2013 at 11:48 am (1 year ago)

Yea, the more I bake/cook the more I firmly believe that some things (souffle for example?) are not worth the effort that can go in. I reckon Tenille is probably on the best bet with using custard powder and a whole lot of yummy thing to make it more special.

2. Amy @ ElephantEats
    6 January 2013 at 2:14 am (1 year ago)

Custard powder (I assume that’s the same as pudding powder in the US) is a great addition to baked goods…it makes them so moist!!! Honestly though, it’s really simple to make custard from scratch and you should totally try it some time. But sometimes, a shortcut is absolutely necessary :) These sound like an amazing muffin combo!!

8 January 2013 at 11:22 am (1 year ago)

I think it is the same… but can pudding powder also be runny? Maybe our custard powder has less gelatin. I’m glad I know now though because I can see me in the future when in America again standing in the shopping aisles wondering where the custard powder is!

3. Sarah
    8 January 2013 at 4:01 am (1 year ago)

if custard=american pudding and you really want to make it, check out the blog lynn’s kitchen adventures. she has a ton of recipes & tutorials. i’m gonna try this year!

8 January 2013 at 11:20 am (1 year ago)

After a quick google I think that you may call it pudding yes. But custard can also be runny, like you’d pour it over hot Christmas cake. I do want to try and make some though, so I’ll check out Lynn’s blog, thanks!

4. atasteofmadess
    8 January 2013 at 6:39 pm (1 year ago)

Wow, what a combination!! I do love muffins, they are one of my weaknesses…along with pretty much every dessert :p

9 January 2013 at 2:03 pm (1 year ago)

Sugar… I think that’s my weakness. Anything with sugar it in!

9 January 2013 at 5:42 am (1 year ago)

I am now going to Google Custard powder and see how I can get it around these parts. These muffins look so incredible! I have made custard from scratch and it seems easy to screw up. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t. Would much rather an easy approach to it though.

9 January 2013 at 2:04 pm (1 year ago)

If you end up making it with ‘pudding’ powder that you seem to have in the states I’d love to know if it turns out.