In part two of the uh-oh-it’s-Christmas-how-the-feck-did-that-happen posts, here’s some Rocky Road.
Marshmallows, coconut, Turkish delight, nuts cherries, chocolate… all these things are easy to find in the supermarket. And it’s a forgiving recipe, just swap out what you can’t eat or don’t want.
In my case, I’ve used the above (I’m not eating nuts so used rice puffs, which are totally awesome in this, fyi).
Melt the chocolate carefully, mix the stuff together, refrigerate, cut up. Wrap up in cellophane. Done.
Homemade gifts say I love you. Homemade gifts say
I’m broke time is more important than money and this took me time.
…and you also get to eat the leftovers. Win-win.
500 g chocolate, melted
200 g marshmallows, chopped
¼ cup desiccated coconut
2 x 55 grams bars Turkish Delight, chopped (or swap with glacee (maraschino) cherries, or red raspberry lollies)
½ cup rice puffs (or peanuts, chopped)
Some red and green glacee (maraschino), cherries, cut up, to top
- Line a 20×30 slice pan with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan on a super low heat. I take the saucepan on and off the heat while stiring to keep it at a good cool level the whole time. Chocolate burns easily!
- Combine all ingredients (except cherries) in a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a lined slice tin, place the chopped cherries on top, and gently press in.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Use a warm knife and cut the slice into small squares.
Makes: 32 squares
Storage: In the fridge in warm weather
Gluten free: yes, but check the packets of the marshmallows and rice puffs
Source: Best recipes.