Rocky road (perfect for Christmas)

Rocky road

In part two of the uh-oh-it’s-Christmas-how-the-feck-did-that-happen posts, here’s some Rocky Road.

Marshmallows, coconut, Turkish delight, nuts cherries, chocolate… all these things are easy to find in the supermarket. And it’s a forgiving recipe, just swap out what you can’t eat or don’t want.

Rocky road ingredients

You’ll be need these things

In my case, I’ve used the above (I’m not eating nuts so used rice puffs, which are totally awesome in this, fyi).

Melt the chocolate carefully, mix the stuff together, refrigerate, cut up. Wrap up in cellophane. Done.

Rocky road
Homemade gifts say I love you. Homemade gifts say I’m broke time is more important than money and this took me time.

…and you also get to eat the leftovers. Win-win.

Rocky road

500 g chocolate, melted
200 g marshmallows, chopped
¼ cup desiccated coconut
2 x 55 grams bars Turkish Delight, chopped  (or swap with glacee (maraschino) cherries, or red raspberry lollies)
½ cup rice puffs (or peanuts, chopped)
Some red and green glacee (maraschino), cherries, cut up, to top

1. Line a 20×30 slice pan with baking paper.
  2. Melt the chocolate in a saucepan on a super low heat. I take the saucepan on and off the heat while stiring to keep it at a good cool level the whole time. Chocolate burns easily!
  3. Combine all ingredients (except cherries) in a large bowl and mix well.
  4. Pour mixture into a lined slice tin, place the chopped cherries on top, and gently press in.
  5. Refrigerate until set.
  6. Use a warm knife and cut the slice into small squares.

Makes: 32 squares

Storage: In the fridge in warm weather

Gluten free: yes, but check the packets of the marshmallows and rice puffs

Source: Best recipes.

10 Comments on Rocky road (perfect for Christmas)

1. petit4chocolatier
    19 December 2012 at 10:53 am (1 year ago)

Aimee, this is such a good recipe. Looks so delectable!!

19 December 2012 at 3:22 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you! I have had problems not eating A LOT of it.

2. Victoria
    19 December 2012 at 3:17 pm (1 year ago)

How pretty and fun! I don’t know what Turkish Delight is…will have to find it now and try this. I’ll bet it’s a Holiday winner!

19 December 2012 at 3:22 pm (1 year ago)

Turkish delight is a soft gel like sweet. It’s a very particular kinda lolly, but goes well in this. I like substituting it out with other lollies like red raspberries of snakes too :)

3. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen
    20 December 2012 at 5:25 pm (1 year ago)

Wow.. these squares are just fantastic. I thought ice cream.. then scrolled down and got really excited!! Love the additions to your chocolate and the simplicity. It’s really a festive looking bar too! xx

8 January 2013 at 11:23 am (1 year ago)

Actually, I’ve been thinking I HAVE to make rocky road ice cream this year, so maybe wait and see :)

4. morrisholmes
    28 December 2012 at 10:33 am (1 year ago)

You got me where I live with this one. Happy New Year FruFee. Cheers!

5 January 2013 at 2:03 pm (1 year ago)

These are just so fun and festive! Hope your holidays were happy and healthy!

8 January 2013 at 11:22 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Geni! They went down a treat. I hope you had a lovely holidays and new year too!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Rocky road (perfect for Christmas)

1. [...] Christmas Rocky Road by Clever Muffin. Easy to make and looks fantastic. Cut up, wrap with cellophane and tie with a [...]