I baked these cookies last week for my cast – lots of chocolate (for energy) and mints (for obvious reasons when you’re about to talk loudly in close quarters with someone) are always consumed back stage.
They’re not usually consumed together, but these seemed appropriate all the same.
They were delicious if I can so myself. Chewy, a good rich chocolate flavour, with just the right hint of peppermint. Not too overpowering, not too underwhelming.
It’s quite a shock to the system to go back to my normal life after a play. The sudden dose of normalcy after pretending to be someone else for a couple of months is… strange. And when things feel strange, I bake. I’ve baked banana bread, an upside down blueberry cake, and plum slice this week alone as I find myself wondering what to do with my evenings. Recipes will all be posted soon.
In the meanwhile, I’m looking forward to doing some good blog reading… and on that note, here are some cookies I prepared earlier. Enjoy!
225 grams (1 cup) butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Beat in eggs and peppermint extract.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix with a wooden spoon until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Flatten balls slightly.
- Bake cookies until edges begin to firm but centre still appears soft, about 9 minutes. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.
Makes: Around 50 cookies.
Healthy: 107 calories a cookie.
Storage: Store in an airtight container. I made these two weeks ago and they’re still fresh and yummy.
Source: Foodess, mint chocolate cookies, Adapted from Gourmet magazine.