FWP I have too much ham (mini ham and cheese muffins)

Ham and cheese mini muffins
These ham and cheese muffins are FULL of leftover ham, tasty cheese and have a sneaky piece of brie in the middle for extra flavour.

Why? Well, because that sounds tasty. But the real reason is I am suffering from a very real FWP (first-world-problem):  too much ham after an amazing ham at Christmas.

Ham

FWP’s are what real friends remind you exist when you’re complaining, passionately, about the small things in life like they matter.  Like having pimples from wearing sunscreen during an amazing stretch of good weather.

To give you an idea, here is my current my list of tragic FWP’s:

1. My cat, who I love dearly, is scratching up my couch and keeps trying to eat muffins as I photograph them (see below)
  2. The new apartment that I’m about to move into, with its fabulous location and kitchen, doesn’t have a dishwasher.
  3. I need to go to the shops to get more boxes to pack up ALL the wine I seem to have accumulated since moving home three months ago.
  4. I have so much tasty Christmas ham and I’m not sure what to do with it (until now…)

Lucy and muffin

As with a lot of savoury muffins, these are quite low in calories. Amazing what happens with you take out butter and sugar from the equation. Even if you put a nice big gob of brie in it before cooking.

Half fill then top with a piece of brie

I made this recipe into some mini muffins, and also six larger ones for work next week.

Ham and cheese muffin being pulled apart
Frozen muffins will be handy next week because as stated in my FWP list, I’m moving house. Again. Such FWP’s. If you like the concept of FWP’s, you can always follow the #FWP on Twitter. It’s good fun.

Hopefully I’ll be back on the interwebs soon. In the meantime, happy new year! 2011 was a great fun, and I especially enjoyed all my blogging and meeting such lovely bloggers on WordPress. A special shout out to you all. xx

Ham and cheese muffin

2 cups of flour
1 cup of ham, diced
1 cup of grated lite cheese
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 egg
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 ¼ cup of water (add slowly to see how much you need)
1 teaspoon of mustard
1 teaspoon of cracked pepper
40 grams of brie, cut into little cubes  (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease (or line with patty cases and spray with oil) a 12 cup muffin tin, or a 24 cup mini muffin tin. This recipe makes 24 little muffins, or 12 regular size ones. I made 15 small ones and 6 regular ones.
  2. Mix all ingredients together except brie. Batter will be very solid and dough like. That’s OK.
  3. Spoon into prepared muffin tins, or I just used my hands to break off sections of dough, as it will be that solid. Fill tin about a third of the way up, make a hole and place some brie in it. Then top the muffin with a little more dough, covering the brie.
  4. Bake for 12 minutes for mini-muffins, or 15 for regular size ones, or until muffins are golden. Cool on rack.

Makes: 24 little muffins, or 12 regular size ones. I made 15 small ones and 6 regular ones.

Healthy: 160 calories a muffin for a regular size one, 80 for the little ones.

Gluten free: No, and I’d want to step up the oil and cheese quantities if I was to attempt it.

Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days. Store in an airtight container.

19 Comments on FWP I have too much ham (mini ham and cheese muffins)

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide
    2 January 2012 at 12:08 pm (3 years ago)

Brie… in the muffins. Yum. That ham looks good too. Although, I’m so glad we’re done with ours. Happy New Year!

2 January 2012 at 12:26 pm (3 years ago)

As you know I am not a sweet kind of person, well what i mean is that i do not like sweet food so much, I mean I CAN be sweet sometimes.. oh well you know what i mean.. so these absolutely stunning little mouthfuls of savoury yumminess are FOR ME!! Plus if you need a hand packing up the wine!!! Pick me.. oh i wish.. have a great shift.. c

2 January 2012 at 12:28 pm (3 years ago)

Haha – I think you’re very sweet. And believe me if you lived any closer (like, the same country) I’d be getting you over here in a jiffy to help me pack up the wine (and everything else!).

2 January 2012 at 4:36 pm (3 years ago)

Happy New Year, Aimee! And best of luck with your move (I can relate about the wine – it’s amazing how fast you can collect it!). And I’m planning on making a ham this week, and if I have leftovers, I know exactly what to do.

2 January 2012 at 5:30 pm (3 years ago)

These look so yummy… I think they would be perfect for breakfast on the run! I wish I had had this recipe when my kids were still in school. I don’t think that was a FWP?? But a very neat concept… heading over to twitter now… And Happy New Year!

2 January 2012 at 11:47 pm (3 years ago)

At least leftovers are far from useless in your kitchen!

3 January 2012 at 1:20 am (3 years ago)

I have not heard of an FWP, but I love that nifty acronym. I will use it with wild abandon now! :) These ham and cheese muffins look tasty and perfect with a cup of tomato soup. Yes?! Or with a nice Caesar salad…or for breakfast…and lunch. These are AWESOME! Happy New Year!

7. sportsglutton
    3 January 2012 at 3:30 am (3 years ago)

I think I could eat about half a dozen of these right now. Delish!

3 January 2012 at 4:15 am (3 years ago)

These look really great – a good use for leftovers :D. You’ve been listening ;). Sorry about the mince pies, it’s a little late… good excuse to read my blog for the next year I suppose!

3 January 2012 at 8:12 am (3 years ago)

I’m definitely going to make these! And soon! I love the brie hiding in the middle. Mike won’t go for that though, so I’ll have to leave some plain. Good luck with the move and Happy New Year Aimee! By the way – love the FWP. That is too stinkin’ clever!

10. Androgoth
    3 January 2012 at 8:23 pm (3 years ago)

Yes pop the kettle on and serve me a wonderful
    helping of these fine goodies my friend :) Sorry for
    being familiar I just read your Profile and… well as
    I am a tad wicked i figured that I would start as I
    mean to go on… Don’t be put off by my photo and
    instead just call into My Gothic Realm for a slice
    of wickedness, if you want to of course? :)

Happy New Year 2012 :)

Androgoth

4 January 2012 at 12:21 pm (3 years ago)

That Christmas ham is gorgeous, and I’m sure it was so delicious. Great idea to make these little muffins with the leftovers. And brie?! That really tops it off for me. Yum!

12. Amy
    4 January 2012 at 12:55 pm (3 years ago)

Oh yeah, totally going to make these this week! Perhaps a tasty weekend brunch treat :)

13. Kay aka Babygirl
    4 January 2012 at 5:13 pm (3 years ago)

I just love ham and cheese together.. so these mini ham and cheese muffins look absolutely amazing and delicious. Nice post

14. spicegirlfla
    5 January 2012 at 2:15 am (3 years ago)

Love the idea to freeze these, if not I’d probably eat the whole batch! Just kidding, but then again..they look delicious!!

5 January 2012 at 12:48 pm (3 years ago)

Happy New Year Aimee! You’ve made leftovers look pretty good, love the brie tucked into the middle of your muffins. It sound like the FWPs are for the most part fairly good problems to have;-)

16. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise
    9 January 2012 at 7:33 am (3 years ago)

Happy new year Aimee and good luck with the move .
    I love the hidden brie in there..that is my kind of surprise

17. Stefanie
    11 January 2012 at 11:56 am (3 years ago)

I love things filled with cheese! And brie in muffins…. genius! And what a wonderful use for leftover ham!

18. thebigfatnoodle
    16 January 2012 at 8:43 am (3 years ago)

Hi, I found your blog through Just A Smidgen and I love these mini savoury treats, yum.