Tomato and basil muffins – just a touch of Christmas

Tomato and basil muffins

There muffins have red tomatoes and green basil in them and are therefore Christmas-sy.

Don’t judge me. I’m making fruit mince pies. I have a giant blow up Santa on my balcony.

Therefore if my muffins have red and green in them I think we should agree, despite their strong Italian theme, they’re Christmas-sy.

At least until I go down the road today and buy some Christmas tree shaped cookie cutters and do something a bit more genuine.

In the meanwhile, these are low fat. Tasty. And a perfect work/school snack

You’ll be needing some fresh basil and tomato. How festive.

tomato and basil

Then just throw everything in a bowl – except the parmesan.

Mix all the ingredients together

When combined, spoon into muffin tins and top with parmesan for that extra yum factor.

Top with parmesan

Bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Put your timer on
1 egg
¾ cup water
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
1 cup lite grated cheese
3 tablespoons fresh basil, ripped up or roughly chopped
3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
¼ cup parmesan cheese – to top

1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with patty cases and spray with cooking oil.
  2. Mix all ingredients together except parmesan. Batter will be very solid and dough like. That’s OK.
  3. Spoon into prepared muffin tins and sprinkle with parmesan.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are golden. Cool on rack. Makes 12.

Healthy: 115 calories a muffin – nice!

Gluten free: No, but I think they’re moist enough to work.

Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days. Store in an airtight container.

Source: modified from the Muffin Bible tomato, cheese & oregano muffins.

29 Comments on Tomato and basil muffins – just a touch of Christmas

1. Arindam
    11 December 2011 at 4:47 pm (3 years ago)

It’s delicious!! You are having a nice blog.

2. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise
    11 December 2011 at 6:21 pm (3 years ago)

I love savory muffins and basil cheese and tomatoes sound like an amazing combination.

3. When Harry Met Celery
    11 December 2011 at 7:34 pm (3 years ago)

Tomato and basil is one of my favourite combinations. This one looks delicious!

12 December 2011 at 1:30 am (3 years ago)

These looks so delicious! And easy – I love easy! And I’m with you – they’re red and green…that makes them downright Christmas-y in my book. :) I love fresh basil!

5. JamieAnne
    12 December 2011 at 1:42 am (3 years ago)

Yum! I think they look super cute!

12 December 2011 at 2:10 am (3 years ago)

Love these muffins, very festive colors , I would enjoy these for breakfast Christmas morning!

12 December 2011 at 2:47 am (3 years ago)

I will love these, savoury muffins are just the thing for me.. c

12 December 2011 at 5:34 am (3 years ago)

I’ve made my mincemeat :D, though I made it up myself. These look great and very festive indeed :D.

12 December 2011 at 8:34 am (3 years ago)

That’s exciting! What did you put in it? Pictures??

12 December 2011 at 8:34 am (3 years ago)

Wellll, actually I think they are mostly an American thing. After spending Christmas in Seattle last year I went on a hunt for a blow up santa/snowman/grinch. I loved how much people got in to the decorating in the states.

12 December 2011 at 8:56 am (3 years ago)

I need to bookmark this for next summer when our tomatoes are going crazy! (Though then I technically couldn’t call them Christmas cookies.) :) And I love your blow up Santa.

12 December 2011 at 10:26 am (3 years ago)

Very cool – and original – X-mas treats! You should be very proud.

11. Kay aka Babygirl
    12 December 2011 at 3:50 pm (3 years ago)

I can’t eat tomatoes, because I’m allergic, but I will definitely show this Tomato and basil muffins recipe to my mom. She WOULD LOVE THIS. Thanks for posting this :)

12. sportsglutton
    13 December 2011 at 3:50 am (3 years ago)

Great idea of a muffin…very clever indeed. ;-)

Hope you had a good weekend!

13 December 2011 at 5:30 am (3 years ago)

YUM! One hundred times YUM! I say they are definitely Christmas-y. I’m in. Love the blow-up Santa and love the you don’t even have kids and you are this into Christmas. IT just shows what a cool chick you are Aimee. Totally cool. I would definitely hang with you anytime. Your new header is so fun. Love it. I used love way too much in this comment. Sorry.

13 December 2011 at 12:59 pm (3 years ago)

Hey, I’m a big fan your blow up santa! All about Christmas decorations. And oh geez, these muffins sound incredible. Love the idea of a savory muffin…I feel like I always go for sweet. I mean, that’s probably because I have a massive sweet tooth, but still. Anyways, yum!!

13 December 2011 at 1:08 pm (3 years ago)

Thought I’d lost you for a while there… Beautiful muffins, all very festive and in the spirit of Christmas! I used to have a blow up snow globe on my front lawn… I had to retire it when it got a leak.. It was my my favorite sight when pulling up to the house!

13 December 2011 at 2:03 pm (3 years ago)

Not lost – just been busy starting a new job. Been missing my blogging friends. :) Sounds like it’s time you treated yourself to a NEW Santa!!

16. Candy
    14 December 2011 at 8:24 am (3 years ago)

These are beautiful and totally Christmasy!

17. spicegirlfla
    16 December 2011 at 4:00 am (3 years ago)

Very festive indeed…and that’s the muffins I’m referring to! tho Santa all blown up is too!!

18. Maggie
    21 March 2012 at 9:57 am (3 years ago)

I have the last bag of mum’s home-grown tomatoes which i am loath the finish as that’s it…. gone….for another season. I won’t be able to tolerate shop bought tomatoes for at least the next 6 months. Anyhow, they are ripening fast, so will make a batch of these as it sounds yum. Also have the last of the basil in the pot as well. Maggie X

19. audge29
    9 August 2012 at 5:00 am (2 years ago)

What kind of light grated cheese would you recommend using for these muffins?

9 August 2012 at 8:40 am (2 years ago)

I just use a cheddar, nothing fancy. A mozzarella would also work well :)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Tomato and basil muffins – just a touch of Christmas