Passionfruit melting moments

Through extensive research over the past 25 years it is apparent that everyone loves melting moments. The buttery goodness, with or without icing, is always a favourite.

Here’s the proof:

Case 1: as a young’n’ my Grandma used to make them to take to the oldies home that she volunteered at. And those oldies used to play seriously competitive bingo to win a parcel of them.

Case 2: as a young’n’ I used to go to the oldies home with my Gran and my brother and I would play seriously competitive bingo to try and win a parcel… even if afterwards my Gran made me give them back to the oldies.

Case 3: A semi-young’n’ I used to make them for my dad to take to work in exchange for a bit of pocket money, and the guys in the factory love them on smoko (for non Australians, smoko = morning tea break).

Yep, this is a biscuit for the oldies, young’n’s and the everyday man. Word.

I think there is something in that for all of us.

It should be noted that my Gran’s melting moments had a cocoa based chocolate icing in between them. My Dutch Grandfather had to have chocolate with everything. Not a bad thing. And then my Mum’s melting moments had a melted-chocolate based chocolate icing.

And now I bring you passionfruit.

250 grams butter
½ cup icing sugar
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup custard powder
2 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
1 ½ tablespoons of water

Icing

2 passionfruit
Tablespoon of butter
Approx 2 cups of icing sugar – have more on hand.

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, line cookie trays with baking paper.
  2. Beat the butter and sugars together.
  3. Add custard powder, flour, vanilla essence and water, mix well. The dough will be hold-it’s-own-shape thick.
  4. Take a teaspoon of mixture and roll into a ball. Get them round, you’ll need them a uniform shape for icing. Place on cookie trays and then squish down hard with fork.
  5. Bake for 8 – 10 mins until just golden on the bottom (check by lifting one up with a spatula).
  6. Cool on rack.
  7. To make icing: scoop passionfruit insides into a bowl, add a tablespoon of margarine. Add enough icing sugar so it’s as hold-it’s-own-shape as the dough was. This will be a lot.
  8. To ice, you should be able to put some icing on one biscuit, then roll in between two biscuits to make the icing round, then squish it. This will give it a nice shape.

Note: I did end up with a bit of left over icing, which suits me fine as it freezes well. It’s hard to the quantities just right. If you do, let me know and I’ll update the above.

Quantity: Makes 42 individual biscuits, so 21 sandwiched with passionfruit icing.

Healthy? *snort* maybe in opposites land. One of the biscuits is 86 calories. For the whole thing with icing it is about 223 (depending on your icing quantity).

Storage: No eggs, so they will last. Store in airtight container.

21 Comments on Passionfruit melting moments

2 November 2011 at 12:29 am (5 years ago)

These are so pretty! I love the fork marks:) If I wanted to make the chocolate version, would I just substitute a little cocoa or melted chocolate?

2 November 2011 at 12:44 am (5 years ago)

Thanks :) Yep – just checked:

Cocoa version of icing: 2 tablespoons of cocoa, 1 of margarine + icing sugar
      Chocolate version of icing: 1/2 melted chocolate and 1/2 icing sugar. The melted chocolate version makes a real chewy filling – it’s yum.

• Just A Smidgen
        9 November 2011 at 12:31 am (5 years ago)

Thanks Aimee:)

2 November 2011 at 1:43 am (5 years ago)

It’s 10:42 am in Canada as I read this – at work, mind you – and my question to you is this: can you guess what I’m craving?
    Great post, Aimee! You’re an absolute delight to read!

2 November 2011 at 3:11 am (5 years ago)

I can imagine how good these would be with a cup of coffee. They sound delicious. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I’m so glad I did that. You’ve created a great place for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

2 November 2011 at 3:30 am (5 years ago)

yes even I love melting moments AND I am crazy about passionfruit we used to grow them and when they were young we would carve our initials gently into the young fruit.. so no-one would eat more than their fair share!! terrible.. c

2 November 2011 at 12:08 pm (5 years ago)

That’s brilliant!! We also had a passionfruit vine growing up – but we were lucky it had so much fruit that there was never a shortage. But I tell you what, if I had of thought to carve my initials in them I would of!

2 November 2011 at 4:04 am (5 years ago)

What great memories, Aimee. These sound amazing! I love the fork marks as well. x

2 November 2011 at 9:38 am (5 years ago)

I’ve never heard of these before. I LOVE the name! I’ve never even tasted a passionfruit before. I need to figure out if I can find them here or what the closest alternative would be.

2 November 2011 at 12:06 pm (5 years ago)

I’d love to know if you call them something different, they’re a peach size purple fruit. You cut them open and spoon the pulp out. Look in google images if you have a moment, always good know when people from different places call them different things.

7. Tea & Sympathy
    2 November 2011 at 3:18 pm (5 years ago)

On Friday last week, I was the only known person in the world who was a bit meh about Melting Moments.

As of Saturday smoko when I ate some of these Melting Moments….I AM A CONVERT!

nom nom nom nom nom.

2 November 2011 at 3:30 pm (5 years ago)

I have never heard of these before – or seen them. I just saw passion fruits in the store last week and was wondering how I could use them. This looks perfect! Great stories too. :) Makes the recipe all the more special.

3 November 2011 at 5:18 am (5 years ago)

You are a dream for making these and sharing the recipe with us. I love the story behind them to. I have never heard of melting moments. I thought you were going to talk about it being swelteringly hot there in the Outback. 😉 Instead, you gave me amazingly beautiful and delectable sounding cookies for my next “smoko”. You are a hoot!

3 November 2011 at 12:05 pm (5 years ago)

Haha – wait a couple more months and you’ll start getting the posts whinging about the heat.

10. Jereme's Kitchen
    3 November 2011 at 11:21 am (5 years ago)

i also am unfamiliar with the term “melting moments”. i must look into this

4 November 2011 at 2:50 am (5 years ago)

Well, Clever, these look just so so yummy! Glad to see you’ve done a couple of posts since I’ve been away – good stuff. I’ve never heard of melting moments, but I love the look of them, delicious.

12. When Harry Met Celery
    19 November 2011 at 2:48 am (5 years ago)

Wow wow! An eggless recipe!! I must try now 😀 Btw I’m back with a new post and you MUST drop by and tell me what you think.

13. Kate
    27 July 2012 at 5:09 pm (5 years ago)

Hey Clever, I just made these and they look and taste good but are still quite doughy in the middle. I feel as though they need longer in the oven. Or maybe I didn’t flatten them enough prior to cooking (though they’re a similar shape to yours…). Or are they meant to be like soft this?

27 July 2012 at 6:16 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Kate, they should be crumbly throughout – as in pretty much all one texture. Are they significantly yellower in the middle? That may mean you could cook them for a little longer. But hey, if they look and taste good …!

14. Kate
    29 July 2012 at 8:15 am (5 years ago)

Thanks for the response. Yes they are pretty yellow in the middle and they’re pliable and moist except for an outer crust. I will try again today and add some time to the cooking. I grew up eating a heavenly version of these and so its a bit of a dream to be able to bring them out at family gatherings myself.