Perfect pizza muffins

I can say these are perfect pizza muffins. I’ve earned the right. They took me three goes to perfect the recipe to just the right amount of pizza flavour.

Sweet muffins are more my ‘thing’ than savoury. But the folks out there love a savoury muffin so I try and put a few up. The spinach and feta ones on here are awesome, and quite fool proof. A muffin with three different kinds of cheese tends to be.

But the olive and chilli ones are quite hard, and best served warm. I like them like that, they’re interesting, but I got a few comments back saying they were too hard. And I listen to comments. Really I do. Except if you’re the people that write in and say ‘this was great, I ended up buying the product after I read this’. Because you’re a stupid spammer head and I know it.

Back to the point, I was determined to make these pizza muffins moist enough that they would be a good take-to-work snack. The original recipe only used water to bind, so after three goes I’m pretty happy with the consistency. Hope you like them too…

Some things you will need:

Make them pretty by topping them with a quarter of a cherry tomato. If that’s your kind of thing.

And then eat them!

4 rashes of shortcut rindless bacon, fat trimmed (or the equivalent of ham)
½ – 1 onion, (purely depending how much you like onion flavour, I use ½)
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup lite grated cheese
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 cherry tomatoes, to top, optional
1 teaspoon of Italian herbs

Add in some fresh parsley if you have some, but it’s purely for the touch of green, the dried herbs will give it the taste.

1. Preheat oven to 200 C. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with patty cases and spray with cooking oil.
  2. Slice up bacon into small pieces, if you are using onion, then chop finely.
  3. Fry bacon and onion until bacon is crispy.
  4. Mix together everything else, except egg and cherry tomatoes.
  5. Make egg up to 1 cup with water then mix with dry ingredients until just combined.
  6. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and muffins are golden. Makes 12.

Healthy? 157 calories a muffin, and they’re very filling. Not bad at all.

Gluten free? No, and they’re already quite crumbly so you may want to add more binding agent if converting.

Storage: They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days.

44 Comments on Perfect pizza muffins

10 October 2011 at 9:32 pm (3 years ago)

A muffin! They look really yummy, Muffin. I should try making savory muffins of my own. They look delicious.

2. Tina@flourtrader
    11 October 2011 at 2:50 am (3 years ago)

These really look like they are packed with tasty ingredients. That does make for a flavorful and tasty muffin-especially for those who love pizza-yum!
    Great post.

11 October 2011 at 4:54 am (3 years ago)

Pizza muffins…what a great idea! These sound fantastic. Hope you had a great weekend. xx

4. Holly
    11 October 2011 at 7:01 am (3 years ago)

OMG! I’ve often mentioned to you the fact that I’m often hounded to make a savoury muffin…
    THESE MUST BE MADE – just as soon as the mrs ever eats a carb again – I will be making them for her!

11 October 2011 at 7:16 am (3 years ago)

I totally contemplated for a second trying to invent a carb-free muffin for her, but, well, I don’t think that would be a muffin anymore.

11 October 2011 at 10:30 am (3 years ago)

They look weird, but I bet they taste cool! Nicely done.

6. patty
    11 October 2011 at 11:21 am (3 years ago)

Wow, these muffins look like a meal and I love that! So happy you received the cookbook and are enjoying it;-)

11 October 2011 at 11:29 am (3 years ago)

I am enjoying it indeed, and very touched you posted it all the way to Australia!

11 October 2011 at 3:48 pm (3 years ago)

These were awesome. I ran to the store and stood in line all day just to buy them. Then I realized I was a stupid spammer and I am a pain. So, I decided to come back home and drool over these delicious looking muffins again. Nice work! (You totally cracked me up, btw) Have a great day!

11 October 2011 at 4:14 pm (3 years ago)

Haha! I’m glad my jokes aren’t wasted. Though hilariously I read the first part of your comment and actually thought your account must of been hacked! Too funny.

12 October 2011 at 1:02 am (3 years ago)

I was already thinking these looked so delicious.. and then I saw the first ingredient was bacon… now I’m sold!! My kids and husband would love these!

9. spicegirlfla
    13 October 2011 at 12:34 am (3 years ago)

I love this idea! These would be great for football watching; just grab and go! And, since you did all the hard work testing and retesting, I am confident they will be a hit!

10. easybaked
    13 October 2011 at 3:38 pm (3 years ago)

YUM!!!! These are so unique- thanks for getting the recipe all figured out- I want to try them this weekend for a party I’m having– so fun!!!!

11. Kay aka Babygirl
    16 October 2011 at 3:04 pm (3 years ago)

Wow, these pizza muffins look absolutely amazing and they are definitely unique. I may have to try this out. Wonderful post

12. Alexandra
    24 October 2011 at 10:13 pm (3 years ago)

those look absolutely delicious! i definitely want to try those!

13. Stefanie
    27 October 2011 at 4:56 am (3 years ago)

Oh wow, pizza muffins? Awesome idea!!! And here I thought muffins couldn’t get any better!

28 October 2011 at 12:28 am (3 years ago)

Okay, pizza in a muffin? That’s way too delicious! What a great lunch idea too. :)

15. Rajani
    28 February 2012 at 9:20 pm (3 years ago)

Made these for this month’s DB challenge and my man was totally in love with them! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe :)

16. Indi Farland
    29 May 2012 at 8:50 pm (2 years ago)

Are you able to take out the bacon without too much trouble with the rest of the mixture?

29 May 2012 at 9:27 pm (2 years ago)

Absolutely – it shouldn’t change the consistency much at all.

17. Emma
    17 June 2012 at 5:56 pm (2 years ago)

where does the olive oil go? in the pan to fry the bacon and onion, or in with the mixture?

17 June 2012 at 6:33 pm (2 years ago)

In the mixture! (hope you get this in time :) It’s dry otherwise. You may need a little bit of oil to fry the bacon, but I’ll leave that up to you.

18. Rochelle
    22 October 2012 at 12:45 pm (2 years ago)

Do you use self raising or plain flour?

22 October 2012 at 1:58 pm (2 years ago)

Plain flour – there is a tablespoon of baking soda in the recipe to make it rise. Hope you like them!

19. Santika
    28 November 2012 at 10:53 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks for the recipe. They turn out so yummy. Perfect for lunch box with pizza topping as an additional sauce… Delicious!

20. Jen
    6 January 2013 at 4:28 am (2 years ago)

Just made these -
    made them gluten free so used 2 eggs instead of one and WOW !!! DELISH !!!!

6 January 2013 at 2:23 pm (2 years ago)

That’s awesome, I’m always happy with a gluten free success!

21. Anamaria
    14 January 2013 at 6:32 am (2 years ago)

Dear Jen, how did you make them gluten free? what flour did you use? please let me know.

14 January 2013 at 5:27 pm (2 years ago)

Hey there, if you swap our a standard gluten free flour mix you should be fine. Most add the necessary amount of gum etc to make sure it’ll bind.

22. Anamaria
    16 January 2013 at 7:12 am (2 years ago)

Thanks a lot Aimee. Also, did you ever try making them with baking powder instead of baking soda? I was wondering if they turned out the same. Many thanks!

16 January 2013 at 6:55 pm (2 years ago)

The rule of thumb is you can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you’ll need more baking powder, some say 4 times as much, but I’d just x1.5 or double it for this recipe as it’s already asking for a tablespoon), so should be fine – but FYI – you can’t use baking soda when a recipe calls for baking powder.

• Anamaria
        16 January 2013 at 7:23 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks a lot Aimee. That’s very useful! I’ll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for your time!

23. Anonymous
    8 February 2013 at 11:07 am (2 years ago)

These sound great. I am going to make them now to take to the rugby tomorrow to stop me from craving a meat pie :)

24. Anonymous
    10 March 2014 at 8:37 am (6 months ago)

I made these,,definetily change to 1 tsp…baking soda….1 tbsp is too strong

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Perfect pizza muffins

1. [...] is my take for this month – savory Pizza Muffins which hubby loved a lot and a sweet Papaya bread which had me sniffing around the oven, waiting [...]