Strawberry almond muffins

This week I haven’t blogged much as I’ve been in Paris (tough life, huh). It has been a very indulgent six days. My left kidney is currently on e-bay to pay for my extravagances if you know an interested buyer.

I must say though, by the time I get home from such fun, I’m usually very glad to see my kitchen. I fall on my muesli box with delight, pat my toaster lovingly and open my pantry with a sigh of relief. Healthy, simple food.

I think there is nothing quite as nice as when berries come in to season and what was unaffordable, can now be used in large quantities.

To start off my week, here is some strawberry and almond muffins.  You know a recipe which uses two full cups of strawberries is going to be fun. I find cutting them all up and looking at the large pile waiting to be turned into muffins very satisfying.

This recipe requires a nice amount of folding (so as not to mush all your precious strawberries) so don’t forget the tips in step-by-step how to make muffins.

½ cup butter (about 115 grams), softened (or 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup natural yoghurt for a healthier version)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup lite milk
2 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups strawberries, sliced
3/4 cup slivered almonds

1. Preheat oven to 190 C. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with patty cases and spray with cooking oil.
  2. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar with electric beater, or you soften the butter in the microwave on defrost and hand whisk.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time and blend until fluffy. Mix in the milk.
  4. Add flours, baking powder and salt, fold in until just combined.
  5. Fold in the strawberries and almonds. Mmm…look at ’em all! That’s a good amount of strawberries.
  6. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and muffins are golden. Makes 12.

Healthy? With ½ cup butter (as written) it’s 258 calories, with ¼ butter and ¼ natural yoghurt it’s 226.

Gluten free? No, I haven’t tried to adapt these.

Storage:  They freeze well, otherwise best eaten within a couple of days. Store in airtight container.

Source: Modified from Sue’s strawberry almond muffins on food.com.

17 Comments on Strawberry almond muffins

1. Holly
    31 July 2011 at 12:31 pm (6 years ago)

Gorgeous muffins! I’m not a big almond fan, but even just the strawberry muffin part appeals hugely!

31 July 2011 at 12:55 pm (6 years ago)

I’m sure it’d work just fine without the almond…or dare I say, white chocolate chips?

31 July 2011 at 5:01 pm (6 years ago)

These are some beautiful strawberry muffins you’ve made, I’m sure you didn’t see anything like this in Paris! (how fun!) I thought I would answer your blueberry question here so you would see it..I use frozen blueberries(actually all berries) in smoothies and bake with fresh blueberries-we can find them all year round in Nor Cal but they are in season now;-)

3. Emily
    31 July 2011 at 5:28 pm (6 years ago)

The pictures make the colors of the muffins really pop. I’ll have to give these a try sometime. I might throw in a few chocolate chips to satisfy my sweet tooth.

31 July 2011 at 10:15 pm (6 years ago)

Nothing wrong with throwing in some choc chips! I recommend white choc mmm.

4. thedrivencook
    1 August 2011 at 3:13 am (6 years ago)

Very pretty muffins! Enjoy your time in Paris.

5. Dave at eRecipeCards
    1 August 2011 at 1:17 pm (6 years ago)

Now that’s a clever muffin 😉

Like the alternative to use greek yogurt. I try to sub that as much as possible
    Looks beautiful. Thanks for your submission to eRecipecards, proud to host this

Dave

6. lkbro
    1 August 2011 at 2:17 pm (6 years ago)

yum!!

7. simplycooking101
    2 August 2011 at 11:10 pm (6 years ago)

They look wonderful – I’m for white chocolate too!

8. thefooddoctor
    4 August 2011 at 7:28 pm (6 years ago)

Paris! lucky you!
    and those muffins mmmmmmmmmm

9. Eating Deliciously
    6 August 2011 at 2:57 am (6 years ago)

I love the combination of strawberries and almonds in this sweet little muffin. The suggestion of white chocolate chips is great too!

10. Anonymous
    22 April 2015 at 6:32 pm (2 years ago)

Just made these with choc chips and they are to die for. I am already contemplating making another batch. I used 1 teaspoon of baking soda rather than the 1 tablespoon recommended in the recipe. They are wonderfully light and not too sweet. I wonder if that was a typo as I’m pretty sure 1 tablespoon would have been too much.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Strawberry almond muffins